[Medusa-dev] [Python-Dev] asyncore fixes in Python 2.6 broke Zope's vers

Subject: [Medusa-dev] [Python-Dev] asyncore fixes in Python 2.6 broke Zope's version of medusa
From: Bill Janssen
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 17:51:50 PDT
I thought I'd forward this along...

Bill

--- Begin Message ---
From: "Josiah Carlson"
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 14:26:00 PDT
On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Bill Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sidnei da Silva <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/zope2/+bug/280020
>
> I think there are real issues here with both asynchat and Medusa.
> Asynchat has been heavily re-written, and the "ac_out_buffer" has
> apparently disappeared.  But "ac_out_buffer_size" is still there.  That
> strikes me as odd, and probably means that asynchat.py needs more
> changes.  However, Medusa (basically just an application layer on top
> of asyncore/asynchat) also needs to be re-written to take account of
> the changes in asynchat.

ac_out_buffer was removed because it is unneeded (we have a deque; why
rely on an extra attribute?).
ac_out_buffer_size still remains as a blocksize in which to pre-split
outgoing data (if you have a 100k string you want to send, repeatedly
slicing it as you are able to send pieces is slow, but pre-slicing
chunks is fast, and generally results in being able to pass full chunk
to the underlying TCP/IP stack).

But yes, zope needs to be changed to reflect the updated
asyncore/asynchat semantics.  Trust me; it's faster, cleaner, and
easier to use now.

 - Josiah

--- End Message ---