Re: Colors on MC 4.7.0.1 are *really* a mess, seconded

Subject: Re: Colors on MC 4.7.0.1 are *really* a mess, seconded
From: "Yury V. Zaytsev"
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 22:30:18 +0200
Hi!

On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 12:30 -0700, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> And the colors are a *mess* as I reported to Debian userlist:

*Your* custom color scheme is a mess. Default color schemes have been
converted to skins.

> Nothing now works as before. As noted on this list:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/mc/2010-March/msg00028.html

Surprise-surprise!

> Which leaves me with using the default skin, all blue.

mc --nocolor?

> And that is progress? Creating a new skin takes days and repeated
>  clarification requests because there is no documentation. E.g. when I
>  take the default skin and change:

Oh really? Have you read man mc? Also, not that I've seen a single
clarification request on an appropriate list.

http://www.s-lang.org/doc/html/cslang-8.html

> When you replace a much used function by something entirely different,
>  at least provide a spectrum of options. Now I am back to basic blue
>  until some good soul comes up with a decent skin. I just found 2 user
>  developed skins: elite_commander and bluemoon, both with black
>  backround: unreadable.

Blah-blah-blah...!

Of course, coming up if "before" and "after" screenshots and explaining
what exactly is wrong in your opinion is beyond the spectrum of your
possible actions.

> This is holding back my Debian upgrade, unless I pin mc at 4.6.2-pre1
>  to prevent a replacement of mc by 4.7.0.1 until some time in the
>  future when skins have been developed by users.

What a drama... I guess I won't be able to get to sleep tonight.

> BTW I still use mc 4.1.40-pre8 developed by Oleg "Olegarch" Konovalov:
> http://mc.linuxinside.com/cgi-bin/dir.cgi only for one reason: it fills
>  in the 'To' field in copy and move operations which still hasn't made
>  it into the official mc. If the 'To' field is complex, I have to write
>  it down because your dialog box hides it.

This part of the rant is absolutely unintelligible, however, if you are
able to articulate, your best bet would be to file an enhancement
request and hopefully it will be implemented in the next versions.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev