Re: replace mcedit with emacsclient without chaning $EDITOR

Subject: Re: replace mcedit with emacsclient without chaning $EDITOR
From: Haines Brown KB1GRM ET1
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 09:57:15 -0500
On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 09:13:00AM +0300, Andrew Borodin wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 19:38:15 -0500 Haines Brown KB1GRM ET1 wrote:

> Please write exactly what you did.
> /usr/share/mc/bin/mc-wrapper.sh must be run directly or via some wrapper
> like /etc/bashrc.d/mc.sh.
> In mc-wrapper.sh, I added
> EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim
> line before
> /usr/bin/mc -P "$MC_PWD_FILE" "[email protected]"
> then started mc and unchecked the 'use internal edIt' option. If I
> press F4 key, the selected file is opened in vim.

In MC Configuration Options, I have unchecked Use intenal edit and Use
internal view. I assume this is why nano normally comes up as editor
rather than mcedit.

In  /usr/share/mc/bin/mc-wrapper.sh I followed your advice and moved
the "EDITOR=/usr/bin/emacsclient" line to before the "/usr/bin/mc -P
"$MC_PWD_FILE" "[email protected]"" line. Nano still comes up as editor. I tried
using "EDITOR=/usr/bin/emacs" instead, but had same result.

This is all I did. I'm unclear how mc-wrapper.sh is run directly, for
it is not an executable on my machine and belongs to root, and I'm
assuming you are not suggesting a change in those default parameters.

My mc.sh is in the same directory as mc-wrapper.sh, and only provides
an alias for mc:

alias mc='. /usr/share/mc/bin/mc-wrapper.sh'

The space between . and / puzzles me. Also, emacsclient command,
unlike vim, needs an argument.

Mc mailing list