Re: Sync file on write?

Subject: Re: Sync file on write?
From: Enrico Weigelt
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 16:24:02 +0100
* Paul Hartman <[email protected]> wrote:

> this is slow:
> cp file1 file2 file3 /mnt/usb; sync
>
> this is fast:
> cp file1 /mnt/usb; sync
> cp file2 /mnt/usb; sync
> cp file3 /mnt/usb; sync
>
> So that's why I was curious if there's any kind of  "after file"
> command or option to make it sync to disk after every file.

I dont think it makes much sense adding more complexity for just
for a single case. As Theodore already pointed out, you've got
a problem in the usb storage and/or the (OS-side) filesystem,
so that would be the first place to look at.

Another way would be coding an own overlaying filesystem (via
9P or FUSE) to handle your desired sync magic.

BTW: I'm working on MC based on my libmvfs (a small userland
VFS library) - this is also a place where such an fs could be
plugged in.

cu