Re: mc inserts printf %b in my history (Ciprian Popovici)

Subject: Re: mc inserts printf %b in my history Ciprian Popovici
From: Reynir Stefansson
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 17:38:45 +0000
Ciprian Popovici <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

Recently I started getting this problem: whenever I hit Tab to change
panel, MC (4.6.2, Debian unstable package) inserts a line like this in my
bash history:

cd "`printf "%b" '\0057'`"
cd "`printf "%b" '\0057home\0057ciprian`"
etc.

The actual string varies, and seems to be a representation of the full
path of the directory in the target panel.

And it also inserts this sometimes:

PROMPT_COMMAND='pwd>&7;kill -STOP $$'

I don't mind how it does what it does here, but I don't want those
commands added to my history. Makes it a pain to go up in the history or
reverse-search when these printf's keep being inserted all over the place.

FWIW, I found this while googling for an anwer:
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/sfw/usr/src/cmd/mc/subshell-printf.patch

Any idea on how to get rid of those lines being added to my history?
Those lines should have been prefixed with a space to keep them out of
the history file. Did you install a new shell or something at the time
the problem began?
Reynir H. Stefánsson ([email protected])
--
The Piper Cub is the safest 'plane in the world.
It can just barely kill you.