mc inserts printf %b in my history

Subject: mc inserts printf %b in my history
From: Ciprian Popovici
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 20:04:12 +0300
Hello,

Recently I started getting this problem: whenever I hit Tab to change
panel, MC (4.6.2, Debian unstable package) inserts a line like this in my
bash history:

cd "`printf "%b" '\0057'`"
cd "`printf "%b" '\0057home\0057ciprian`"
etc.

The actual string varies, and seems to be a representation of the full
path of the directory in the target panel.

And it also inserts this sometimes:

PROMPT_COMMAND='pwd>&7;kill -STOP $$'

I don't mind how it does what it does here, but I don't want those
commands added to my history. Makes it a pain to go up in the history or
reverse-search when these printf's keep being inserted all over the place.

FWIW, I found this while googling for an anwer:
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/sfw/usr/src/cmd/mc/subshell-printf.patch

Any idea on how to get rid of those lines being added to my history?