What the hell did mc do?

Subject: What the hell did mc do?
From: Reynir Stefansson
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:27:40 +0000
Here is an excerpt from two 'lsof'  dumps.

COMMAND PID USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE     SIZE    NODE NAME
mc      xxx  rhs    0u   CHR      136,0                2 /dev/pts/0
mc      xxx  rhs    1u   CHR      136,0                2 /dev/pts/0
mc xxx rhs 2u sock 0,0 11140 can't identify protocol
mc      xxx  rhs    3u   CHR        5,2           425178 /dev/ptmx
mc      xxx  rhs    4u   CHR      136,1                3 /dev/pts/1
mc      xxx  rhs    5r  FIFO        0,5             1446 pipe
mc      xxx  rhs    6w  FIFO        0,5             1446 pipe

I had just discovered that mc had blown fd2 on me. Again. How did I know? Pressing Enter on an Ogg Vorbis file to play it had stopped working. In other cases I have seen fd2 closed or reopened into a stopped pipe. This latter case is trivially easy for me to produce: Press F11 in the editor with no block marked.
COMMAND PID USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE     SIZE    NODE NAME
mc      yyy  rhs    0u   CHR      136,0                2 /dev/pts/0
mc      yyy  rhs    1u   CHR      136,0                2 /dev/pts/0
mc      yyy  rhs    2u   CHR      136,0                2 /dev/pts/0
mc      yyy  rhs    3u   CHR        5,2           425178 /dev/ptmx
mc      yyy  rhs    4u   CHR      136,1                3 /dev/pts/1
mc      yyy  rhs    5r  FIFO        0,5            14079 pipe
mc      yyy  rhs    6w  FIFO        0,5            14079 pipe

This is from right after restarting mc and is included for comparison.

Reynir H. Stefánsson ([email protected])
--
No living parent should ever have to catch a SIGCHLD.