Re: ftp, login name with a '@' in the middle

Subject: Re: ftp, login name with a '@' in the middle
From: "Marco Ciampa"
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 10:59:59 +0100
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 05:20:18AM +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Jesús Guerrero <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I contracted a new hosting today and my user name has a '@'
> > in the middle. How can I -well, can I at all?- instruct mc to login
> > with such a name?
> Your hoster is broken. '@' is not a valid character for usernames.
no and there are too many broken hosters anyway. If the world is wrong can
you choose another one?

> > Since mc uses the @ to separate the login name from the machine
> > name it gets confused and it says it can't find the machine. The
> > login line ends being like this:
> >
> > /#ftp:[email protected]:[email protected] /dir
> That would totally break the current syntax, which is almost an URL.
no mc just have to start considering the hostname starting from the right
of the string. The MidnightCommander line parser should be rewrittenn in
this way. It should be considered as a bug and filed a bug report.

Marco Ciampa

| Linux User  #78271 |
| FSFE fellow   #364 |
Mc mailing list