Re: Alt-o in xterm

Subject: Re: Alt-o in xterm
From: Russell Shaw
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 01:06:44 +1100
Russell Shaw wrote:
Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Russell Shaw wrote:

[email protected] wrote:
I am merely curious. I do not use the funny character mappings for anything, myself. But I can imagine that someone might want to use those sometimes and use mc on other occasions. Thus, I find myself wondering whether
  *eightBitInput: false

would turn that off completely, or not.
It seems it does. In vim, before i'd get "i" with diaeresis, now i
get ^[o.
In gvim, i still get "i" with diaeresis now. Obviously it would affect
someone that wanted to see unicode chars in a terminal (non-X) editor.
That (having both alt-something and entering unicode) is what
metaSendsEscape and altSendsEscape are supposed to help with...
Ok, i now have:

  XTerm*altSendsEscape: true

in ~/.Xresources (on debian)

Also have to xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources when changing things.
It seems i made a mistake.

I found that this does not enable alt-sends-escape:

  XTerm*eightBitInput: true
  XTerm*altSendsEscape: true

However, this does:

  XTerm*eightBitInput: false