Re: Alt-o in xterm

Subject: Re: Alt-o in xterm
From: Russell Shaw
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:26:45 +1100
[email protected] wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Russell Shaw wrote:

Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Russell Shaw wrote:

Hi,
In an xterm, i could press alt-o to get both panels the same.

Now after a few X windows upgrades, alt-o gives an "I" with
two dots above it (0xEF, LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH DIAERESIS)
UTF-8 locale i guess. On the linux console it gives ESC-o (0x1b6f)

How can i get mc to work in a utf-8 X setup?
man xterm (see eightBitInput, metaSendsEscape, altSendsEscape)
In /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm, i put:

 *eightBitInput: false

and it works now.
Thanks:)
I am glad it works. Now, an interesting question might be what happens
now if you type something like Alt-o at the command line, in a bare
xterm which does not have mc running in it. On my system, I can still
get the funny characters that way. Can you?
Now i get the same as on a linux console. Alt-o now gives esc-o (0x1b 0x6f)
in a bare xterm (it just makes xterm beep).

I am merely curious. I do not use the funny character mappings for anything, myself. But I can imagine that someone might want to use those sometimes and use mc on other occasions. Thus, I find myself wondering whether
  *eightBitInput: false

would turn that off completely, or not.
It seems it does. In vim, before i'd get "i" with diaeresis, now i get ^[o.

In gvim, i still get "i" with diaeresis now. Obviously it would affect
someone that wanted to see unicode chars in a terminal (non-X) editor.