Re: mc and firefox

Subject: Re: mc and firefox
From: Dominique Michel
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:13:20 +0200
Le Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:01:30 +0200,
Frank Dietrich <[email protected]> a Ãcrit :

> Hi Dominique,
> Dominique Michel <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I am very happy with mc as filemanager, but I have a problem when
> >lauching some of my local html files. When the filename or the path
> >contain a space, I just get an error message from firefox, and the
> >URL it is traying to load is stopping at the first space.
> Which linux distribution and mc version do you use?
Sorry, I forget. I use gentoo and mc 4.6.1-r4 from portage. With my USE flags,
it install an UTF-8 patch.
> I use Debian Lenny and mc 4.6.2-pre1 and there is not problem with
> blanks in filename.
> That's what I have in the ~/.mc/bindings file
> # html
> regex/\.([hH][tT][mM][lL]?)$
>         Open=run-mailcap  %f 2>&1 &

I have

# html
        Open=(if test -n "gnome-moz-remote" && test -n "$DISPLAY"; then
(gnome-moz-remote file://%d/%p &) 1>&2; else links %f || lynx -force_html %f ||
${PAGER:-more} %f; fi) 2>/dev/null

I also try:

        Open=(firefox "%d%p") 1>&2 &

        Open=firefox "%f" 1>&2 &

I also try with and without double quotes around %f and %d%p. And with and
without the 1>&2 & part.

In all cases, the url break at the first space. I try with image files and the
same syntax for comix and it work just fine with spaces in the name or the path.

        Open=comix %f

But I am not sure that the problem reside with mc, because I get exactly the
same false behaviour if I run into the console:

firefox "/path to the/file with some space.html"

I just done a google search, and it appear that space in filename are not valid
on the web. But local files do have another standard. It appear too that this
is a well know problem and that the only solution at that time are to switch to
another browser or to remove the space(s) from the filename.

So, I am sorry for the noise.

> regards
> Frank

Dominique Michel

Mes 3 projets prÃfÃrÃs auxquels je contribue:
 * FVWM-Crystal, le bureau basà sur FVWM:
 * AlsaPlayer, le lecteur audio avec contrÃle de vitesse en continu:
 * L'overlay pour la MAO sous gentoo:
Mc mailing list