Re[2]: restarting in X Terminal

Subject: Re[2]: restarting in X Terminal
From: Pavel Tsekov
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 22:08:25 +0200
Hello,

Sunday, March 9, 2008, 6:14:59 PM, you wrote:

> Glad somebody got back to me on this at last! Sad he has no solution (i
> am sure there is one)...

> Abbreviated from Pavel Tsekov:
->> > If i quit out of X with mc on once, EVERY subsequent instance
->> > starts at console size within the (much larger) terminal window
->>
->> Every instance of which program ?

> "EVERY subsequent instance" of mc.  actually, after i started to
> consider this more, i recognized that it is not necessarily after i
> "quit out of X".  However, once this behavior starts it will not stop,
> so "EVERY subsequent instance" remains true.  Since it could, in fact,
> start right after boot-up, i assume there is some issue whereby
> sometimes X sets something before mc or vice versa and USUALLY it
> happens the right way around but SOMETIMES, for my purposes anyway, it
> happens the wrong way.

->> > open a tab, start mc (which now starts proper size), and then -
->>
->> Do you mean that MC doesn't detect the terminal size properly ?

> Yes sir.  Or at least the initial mc doesn't (from "Terminal -e mc").

Please, describe in simple steps how to reproduce the behavior that you
consider wrong.

->> > other tab. The (more) irritating part is that now the panel
->> directory
->> > does not count as the fresh tab directory...and this behavior does
->> not
->> > reset until i reboot, even if mc is cleanly exited a number of
->> times.
->>
->> I do not really understand what you are talking about.

> Well, if Terminal opens with mc in it, any Terminal tabs you open
> (ctrl-T) begin (as plain shell consoles) with their pwd set to the
> active panel directory.  But if you open a Terminal (or a Terminal tab)
> and type "mc", fresh tabs will just open up pwd=~.

Same applies for this problem.

> This is not specific to "Terminal", as i said before.  The real problem
> is mc SOMETIMES not detecting the terminal size.

So you have actually tried it with other terminals ?