Re: Behavior of internal search in a file has changed?

Subject: Re: Behavior of internal search in a file has changed?
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:07:19 -0500 CDT
Sorry about what was probably a few hours delay. I had to make sure that I
am in front of the right computer, which is at home. Answers to your
questions are below, inserted in the text where you asked them.

Theodore Kilgore

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:10:03 +0200
>> Von: "Pavel Tsekov"
>> Betreff: Re: Behavior of internal search in a file has changed?
>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>>> Datum: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:36:01 -0500 (CDT)
>>> Betreff: Behavior of internal search in a file has changed?
>>> What seems to happen for me now is that, if I scroll halfway through the
>>> file and search at that point for "string" then the search function
>> thinks
>>> it is more clever than I am, and what I really wanted to do was to go
>> back
>>> to the beginning of the file, if, say, "string" was to be found on line
>> 3.
>> Please, calm down. I understand that you're frustrated by the sudden
>> change of behaviour but your report could be more useful if it contained
>> details like what version of MC worked for you and which is the version to
>> which you upgraded.

I do not remember what was the version before; what I remember is that
this never used to happen. I have been having this problem for a while,
now, before deciding to do something about it. Other things to do, going
away for several weeks, that kind of thing. In any event, the current
version is the stock version used in Slackware-12.0, which is contained in
a Slackware package named

Strangely, the man page says the version is 4.6.0 (could be that
someone just forgot to change that). The output of mc -V says

[email protected]:~$ mc -V
GNU Midnight Commander 2007-03-09-18
Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish, undelfs
With builtin Editor
Using system-installed S-Lang library with terminfo database
With subshell support as default
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm and Linux console
With support for X11 events
With internationalization support
With multiple codepages support
Data types: char 8 int 32 long 32 void * 32 off_t 64 ecs_char 8
[email protected]:~$

The exact sequence of commands that you issue to get
>> the erronous behaviour could be also helpful. Anyway, I've played with the
>> viewer a bit and found out that the said behaviour is exhibited only if you
>> move down by using the arrow keys. If you move down using Page Down it
>> works as expected.

You could well be correct about this. Let's see ...

Well, the behavior after using PageDown is that "/" used as a search does
jump backward, but not all the way to the beginning of the file. It seems
to jump back approximately to where the bottom of the screen was before
the previous PageDown.

I have also tested now with F7 used as search, and the behavior is

I'll investigate and post a patch.
> Ok. The bug was introduced by this patch:
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/mc/src/view.c?root=mc&r1=1.250&r2=1.251&sortby=date&diff_format=u
> With the new movement code introduced by the patch above the position at
> which the search should start is not updated as the user moves up/down
> by one line. This change conflicts with the old (expected) behaviour.
> Perhaps there are other instances where moving around the file would
> cause breakage. I suspect that the hex mode may be affected as it calls
> view_move_[left|right] but it doesn't call view_movement_fixups (...,
> TRUE), but I haven't verified that yet. Roland, would you mind taking a
> look at this issue or advise as to why you changed the code in that way
> ?
> --
> "Feel free" - 5 GB Mailbox, 50 FreeSMS/Monat ...
> Jetzt GMX ProMail testen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/promail

Thanks for your attention to this problem. I appreciate that. As to my
upset, I hope it makes you feel better if I tell you that after all these
years and after so much development in X windows, desktops, integrated
work environments, and whatever, the Midnight Commander is still my file
manager and work environment of choice. I use it in preference to all GUI
file managers and what have you. So think of the event as the reaction of
someone being let down quite unexpectedly by an old friend.

Theodore Kilgore
Mc mailing list