Re: Meta-o does what again?

Subject: Re: Meta-o does what again?
From: Reynir Stefansson
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 15:22:53 +0000
 >> Is that new? I thought it always worked like that. My help screen says:
>>    Alt-o   If the currently selected file is a directory,
>>            load that directory on the other panel and moves
>>            the selection to the next file.
> Yes, this has always been the intended behavior.
> At some point someone thought this was a bug and changed it to the
> behavior that Anton noticed.
> The idea behind Alt-o is that you can quickly browse a directory (and
> the contents of its children) without loosing your state (selected
> files).
> This is useful when cleaning a directory for example.   You have tons of
> junk, but you are not quite sure what is in each place, so you Alt-o on
> each one.

I have been meditating on this for a while, and I think I know what bugs
me about the change. It's that the 'new' behaviour is to *always* browse
a different directory, even when I don't want it to.

How about amending the works so that it does this browse thang only when
the selector bar rests on a directory? Surely I'm not the only one
wanting to work with two files in the same directory and finding tabbing
quicker than paging and scrolling back and forth?

Reynir H. Stefánsson ([email protected])
"All hands! All hands! Heave ho! Heave ho! Heave ho! Lash up and stow,
lash up and stow! Wakey, wakey; rise and shine, the morning's fine;
you've had your time and I've had mine! The sun's scorching your
bleedin' eyes out! Beautiful dreamer, lash up and stow! The cooks to
the galley have gone long ago! Show a leg! Show a leg! Make a move!"
(Royal Navy morning call)

Mc mailing list