Re: Shell Link - Window dissapears...

Subject: Re: Shell Link - Window dissapears...
From: "Peter A. Kerzum"
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:56:59 +0300

> >> Maybe I don't - but a good problem report would make
> >> it easier for me to understand.
> >
> > Yeah, I believe this particular discussion (mc in putty window on
> > utf/non-utf linux) should leave its trace in some faq =) The trouble is
> > not only border chars, but defunct keyboard with wrong TERM setting
> This has been discussed on the mailing list many times. Searching the
> archives should help. Setting TERM properly is vital for any curses
> based app out there. I admit that it causes confusion but this is how
> it works.

Yeah, I just mean a capitalized guidelines for newbies which use putty in some
reachable place like '
in RHEL 4 set TERM=xterm
in Debian X set TERM=whatever'

I.e. hints on what correct TERM settings might be in different popular cases

> > With shell link it takes a total of 30 sec, with 24 of them dedicated to
> > the 'writing of data' and the next 6 to a pause obscure to me.
> >
> > As you can see, impact on larger files is even larger.
> > And this was not LAN! I used to use Samba and NFS to copy music with MC
> > at my home.
> 2006-03-30  Dmitry Butskoj  <buc at odusz dot so-cdu dot ru>
>          * fish.c (fish_file_store): Improve the upload speed by using the
>          `head' utility when possible. Fallback to a new improved `dd'
> method if `head' is not availaible or just stupid.
> I don't know how slack build their MC package . You may want to check
> whether this patch is included - if it is not icluded you could ask the
> maintainer to add it. It should make a difference.

Sure, I'll check it. Is this part already a part of latest public releases?
I just gave that warning in assumption that may be Chris lacks this patch too

Peter A. Kerzum
Mc mailing list