Re: mc under Eterm

Subject: Re: mc under Eterm
From: Pavel Tsekov
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:56:26 +0300 EEST
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Alessandro Magni wrote:

> Pavel Tsekov wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Alessandro Magni wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>> I ran into a problem trying to switch my terminal from Konsole to Eterm:
>>> my beloved mc (GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.1a) is now unable to display
>>> graphic chars,
>>
>> Is that the MC which comes with FC5 ? If that is the case I suspect
>> that it is an UTF-8 related issue. It would help if you provide the
>> output of "mc -V" and "echo $TERM".
>>
> thanks for the quick reply!
> Yes, it is the FC5 rpm => mc-4.6.1a-12.FC5

Ok.

> # echo $TERM
> Eterm
>
> I'm sorry to be such a newbie not to know what a "UTF-8 issue"  is ... ;-)

Basically, the Fedora rpm (as well as packages from several other vendors)
includes a set of patches which enable MC to work in a utf8-ized
environment. Those patches are not part of the original MC code. Anyway,
my guess is that Eterm is not UTF-8 capable. I'd suggest you to set
the LANG environment so that UTF-8 encoding won't be used by MC. For
example:

   "export LANG=C" or "export it_IT.ISO8859-1" or "export it_IT"