Re: smbclient mount with MC?

Subject: Re: smbclient mount with MC?
From: Pavel Tsekov
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 10:41:52 +0300 EEST
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Felix Miata wrote:

> On 06/09/21 15:43 (GMT-0400) Pavel Tsekov apparently typed:
>
>> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>> On http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Samba I see that Konq can do
>>> 'smb://server/sharename' to use smbclient to access lanman shares. Mc
>>> doesn't have an equivalent that I have found so far on
>>> http://www.ibiblio.org/mc/FAQ or elsewhere. Is there one?
>
>> MC can do this. Just configure it using the "--with-samba" option.
>
> I use the mc that comes bundled with the OS, in this case, SUSE 10.0,
> and mc 4.6.1-5. It doesn't have it. :-(

"--with-samba" is an option to the "configure" script which is run as
part of the build process. This option enables samba support in the
resulting binary.

To verify whether the Suse MC package supports samba, invoke samba like
this:
   mc -V

Then look at the output. There should be a line "Virtual File System:" -
if it contains smbfs then your MC has samba support built in. If it
doesn't, you can get the source RPM package and change the .spec file
to include the --with-samba configure option and then rebuild the MC
package.

> Is this direct support?, Or, does it depend on the kernel supporting
> smbfs? The latest kernels have no smbfs. Cifs is supposed to replace it,
> but cifs is broken for old OS/2 and windoz Lanman file sharing.

Yes, it is direct support. It doesn't depend on the kernel or external
libraries.