Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: mcedit and file locking

Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: mcedit and file locking
From: Pavel Tsekov
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:24:25 +0300 EEST
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, [email protected] wrote:

>>> I've updated MC to 4.6.0 on the RedHat 7.2 system, but there is still
> no
>>> dead symlink and
>>> no message editing a file already opened by somebody else.
>>> I've tried the same with MC 4.6.1 on a gentoo system, but also no
> symlink
>>> and no message.
>>>
>>> Is there a special option to activate locking support, or is there
>>> something else to do?
>
>> Well, maybe you are experiencing the problem described here:
>
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=13673#options
>
> No - it seems not to be the problem - I didn't start the editor from
> commandline.
> So I think there must be a kind of bug in the packages I've used (both
> RedHat and Gentoo).

That's pretty strange. I'll look at this if I get some spare time. However
is not a priority since the MC source tarball works ok.

>> If this is the case you have to download the patch and apply it
>> to your local source and rebuild. Or you can get the latest snapshot
>> of MC and build it:
>

> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/utils/file/managers/mc/snapshots/mc-2006-09-25-14.tar.gz
>
> Now I have compiled mc-4.6.1 myself and it works fine with locking
> support.
>
> One suggestion for the message sent in case of a locking situation:
> Default answer is "Grab lock" - I think to have "Ignore lock" as default
> would be the better choice.
> But this is my personal opinion and I can change the code myself.

There is a patch in the MC patches repository at savannah which
improves the locking scheme a bit. I think it also does something
with the dialog which is presented to the user when a lock is
detected... I'll take a look at it again - it was delayed for quite
some time now.