Re: Blocking DNS lookup on MC startup

Subject: Re: Blocking DNS lookup on MC startup
From: Pavel Tsekov
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 13:58:19 +0300 EEST

On Tue, 30 May 2006, [email protected] wrote:

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 10:42:39AM +0300, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
Someone was complaining about the same issue recently. I think
he/she was experiencing this long delay on a FreeBSD system. Can
you give us more details about the system on which you run MC and
see the long delay ? The output of "mc -V" would be usefull too.
The delay appears before any output generated by -V:
And what about your operating system ?

The requests are for every network interface name, both lowercase
and capitalized. On my test machine it tries to resolve:

Yes. I understood that the first time through. There was a similiar bug
report already.

The question is: why MC is doing DNS queries? Is possible to
disable them?
Maybe someone else is doing those queries. A library linked to MC most
likely. I've tried to reproduce that many times and I cannot get neither
the slowdown nor those particualr dns lookups for interface names. I
disconnect the network cable and still I am not able to get the described

Could you build MC with debug symbols and at the time the slowdown occurs attach to the MC process with a debugger and get a backtrace ?
Mc mailing list