Re: subshell (ctrl-o) not working properly

Subject: Re: subshell (ctrl-o) not working properly
From: Pavel Tsekov
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:04:19 +0200
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> So now with the right binary:
>
> # mc -V
> GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.1
> Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish
> With builtin Editor
> Using included S-Lang library with terminfo database
> With subshell support as default
> With support for background operations
> With mouse support on xterm
>
> Pressing ctrl + o shows the background, but I can't execute any shell
> commands (I return to mc immediately when pressing any key).
>

> Strace available at http://wpkg.org/subshell.strace.gz (strace -o
> subshell.strace) and http://wpkg.org/sub.strace.gz (strace -o sub.strace
> mc -U).

The strace output suggests that the subshell is being killed by a SIGPWR
signal. I cannot tell why this signal is being sent to the subshell
though. Maybe the OS you are running on your embedded device is
sending this signal for some specific purpose and expects the application
to deal with it... In any case the fact that the subshell is not working
on your platform is not a bug in MC.