Re: UTF8 term

Subject: Re: UTF8 term
From: Leonard den Ottolander
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 23:49:55 +0100
Hi Raphael,

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 18:11 +0100, Raphael Claudel wrote:
> I have recompile mc with such a patch. All are fine :)

I'm surprised Debian doesn't feature that patch.

> Thanks, Leonard,  but someone know when a UTF8 official support ?

When somebody takes the time to implement it.

The current patch is UTF8 specific. An official implementation should
support all multi byte character sets. This means we need to convert
between character sets and back in many places.

I'd say large parts of the current patch should be reusable but we
should get rid of the "#ifdef UTF8" and replace it with a test for a
variable "use_mb_path". From that we could work in the character set
translations.

Leonard.