Subshell on Cygwin was Re: Sub-shell (ctrl-o) behavior

Subject: Subshell on Cygwin was Re: Sub-shell (ctrl-o) behavior
From: Pavel Tsekov
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:41:47 +0300
Hello,

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 19 May 2005, GiveMeFish Lists wrote:
>
> > Under cygwin and when I telnet to a FreeBSD server, I ctrl-o and can
> > only see the results of the previous command.  I can't, for example,
> > type in another command.  As soon as I enter another keystroe, I am
> > immediately returned to the MC interface.
>
> The subshell feature is disabled by default on Cygwin since it leaves
> stale shell processes. I've be plannig to look into this for a long
> time but I don't have time to properly debug the issue and it is not a
> simple one really. Anyway, if you cannot be bothered by the fact that
> subshells are left behind, you can enable the subshell by passing the '-U'
> command line switch to mc .

Yesterday, I've submitted a patch to the Cygwin folks which fixes the
cause for the stale subshell problem. The bugfix will be available as soon
as a new Cygwin release is made. In the meantime you can use snapshots from:

  http://www.cygwin.com/snapshots/

Every snapshot built after August 17 should be ok. Once a new Cygwin
release is out I'll release and updated MC package for Cygwin which will
have the subshell enabled by default.