Re: Feature request: Changing colors

Subject: Re: Feature request: Changing colors
From: wwp
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:02:17 +0200
Hello Efim,

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:38:09 +0400 Efim <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hmm... First of all I'd like to say Hallo to all of MC developers.
>
> Then I'd like to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS PROGRAM!!! I've been
> using MC for nearly 3 years and I really like it.
>
> But there is one feature, IMHO, MC must have. This feature is changing
> colors of text, panels and of editor's screen and text. I wrote some things
> using Ncurses, so I can guess that it's possible to add this feature. Of
> course, I don't know SLang at all, but I've seen sources of MC and I saw
> that there are colors definitions. I don't ask you to write a configurator,
> it will be good if you just add such a feature to MC config files...
>
> So, thanks for reading my letter. I hope you'll add this feature in further
> releases. Thank you again.

Waiting for a real color editor, you can still do that from the command-line.
See `mc --help` and the Color chapter in the man page for detail.

As an example, I use a simple wrapper shell script for mc (below), if mc
is called by root, it get red background colors (this helps me remembering
the danger of being root), my default user runs mc in a default blue modified
theme and all others in a black theme:

#!/bin/sh

case $UID in
0)      COLORS=\
errors=brightred,yellow:reverse=black,white:gauge=black,gray:input=lightgray,red\
:normal=lightgray,red:selected=black,lightgray:marked=yellow,red:markselect=yellow,lightgray\
:dnormal=black,lightgray:dfocus=lightgray,black:dhotnormal=red,lightgray:dhotfocus=black,lightgray\
:menu=black,lightgray:menuhot=red,lightgray:menusel=lightgray,black:menuhotsel=lightgray,red\
:helpnormal=black,lightgray:helpitalic=grey,lightgray:helplink=blue,lightgray:helpslink=red,lightgray\
:directory=white,red:execute=brightgreen,red:link=green,red:device=brightmagenta,red:special=black,red:core=brightcyan,red\
:hidden=lightgray,red:temp=lightgray,red:doc=lightgray,red:archive=lightgray,red:source=lightgray,red:media=lightgray,red:graph=lightgray,red:database=lightgray,red
        ;;
500)    COLORS=\
errors=yellow,red:reverse=black,white:gauge=black,gray:input=lightgray,blue\
:normal=lightgray,blue:selected=black,cyan:marked=yellow,blue:markselect=yellow,cyan\
:dnormal=black,cyan:dfocus=lightgray,black:dhotnormal=red,cyan:dhotfocus=black,cyan\
:menu=black,cyan:menuhot=red,cyan:menusel=cyan,black:menuhotsel=cyan,red\
:helpnormal=black,lightgray:helpitalic=grey,lightgray:helplink=blue,lightgray:helpslink=red,lightgray\
:directory=white,blue:execute=brightgreen,blue:link=green,blue:device=brightmagenta,blue:special=black,blue:core=brightcyan,blue\
:hidden=lightgray,blue:temp=lightgray,blue:doc=lightgray,blue:archive=lightgray,blue:source=lightgray,blue:media=lightgray,blue:graph=lightgray,blue:database=lightgray,blue
        ;;
*)      COLORS=\
directory=cyan,black:normal=green,black:executable=brightgreen,black:selected=black,green:\
marked=yellow,black:markselect=yellow,green:link=brightcyan,black:stalelink=brightred,black:\
core=red,black:device=brightmagenta,black:special=brown,black:errors=white,red:reverse=black,green:\
gauge=red,blue:input=black,green:dnormal=green,black:dfocus=black,green:dhotnormal=yellow,black:\
dhotfocus=yellow,green:menu=black,green:menusel=green,black:menuhot=yellow,green:\
menuhotsel=yellow,black:helpnormal=green,black:helpitalic=red,black:helpbold=yellow,black:\
helplink=black,green:helpslink=yellow,green:viewunderline=brightred,black:editnormal=green,black:\
editbold=yellow,black:editmarked=black,green
        ;;
esac
/usr/local/bin/mc --colors $COLORS "[email protected]"

Regards,

--
wwp