After a long time using Midnight Commander, I realized it also has a very nice
editor called mcedit or cooledit. I really liked it. But I use a lor of
accented characters, like the ones so common in Spanish and French, and they do
not work. Whenever I try to type one of them, nothing happens or something
strange happens. For example:
- when I type the cedilla (ç), nothing happens;
- to type à, I usually press ` then a. But nothing happens;
- to type ã, I usually press ~ then a. But when I press a, the menu is
activated, as if I had pressed F9;
- to type õ, I usually press ~ then o. But when I press o, I get "Paste the
output of external command";
- to type ô, I usually press ^ then o. But when I press o, I get the "Sort
Most of the time, I use Konsole. But exactly the same happens with other
With files already written and saved with other editors, I can see these
accented characters perfectly well.
In a pure command line, out of MC, I can type accented characters without any
problem. Even in a pure console (no X);
When I use MC's file manager, I can see these accented characters in the names
of files perfectly well (although not in other consoles).
So, the only thing that is not working here is input of accented characters in
MC's editor. Does anyone know how I can fix it?
Luciano Espirito Santo
Santos, SP - Brasil
Mc mailing list