Re: dependency problem installing MC in Redhat 9.0

Subject: Re: dependency problem installing MC in Redhat 9.0
From: "Alejandro Lengua * VOhosting.com"
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:47:26 -0500
Hi Frank,
Finally solved it with the  "compat-slang" package...
compat-slang-1.4.5-5.i386.rpm

Thanks for your help
Alejandro

Frank Dietrich wrote:

Hi Alejandro,

Alejandro Lengua <[email protected]> wrote:

Making some googling I found that the slang-1.2.2-1.i386.rpm
is the one I should need to install. However a more recent version
"package slang-1.4.5-16" is already installed.

So I decided to install forcing --nodeps
however it didn_t work fine and now I get this error everytime I run
"mc"

mc: error while loading shared libraries: libslang.so.1: cannot open

I'm not familar with Red Hat but try the following.

1. look which libslang installed on your system

 ls -l /lib/libslang.so.*

 results something like
/lib/libslang.so.1.4.9
                  ----- version number

2. make a soft link to the most recent version

 cd /lib/
 ln -s libslang.so.1.4.9 libslang.so.1

Then it should work.

Frank