macromedia.dreamweaver.appdev

Re: Dreamweaver CS4 and MySQL PHP Databases

Subject: Re: Dreamweaver CS4 and MySQL PHP Databases
From: Michael White
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:24:54 -0500
Newsgroups: macromedia.dreamweaver.appdev

A comprehensive and cogent reply, Murray, I'm impressed. Do you use the Command Line(Terminal on Mac) to perform the dump?
Mick.

Murray *ACE* wrote:
1. When I created my MySQL database I don't recall it asking me where I wanted
these files to go. Does it matter?

MySQL doesn't save its data in the way you are thinking. There are no 'files' to be saved. It's all managed internally in MySQL.

2. If I have created the SQL database on my local machine and I do all my
testing there, how does it get published to my hosted site when all is
complete? Does this require that the MySQL database and tables be in the
website folder along  with everything else?

Do a SQL dump of the database locally.  Execute that dump file remotely.

3. When creating the database connection in DW I am presented with a dialog
box that requests information but does not indicate the relevance of the
answers. Example: "Connection Name" can this be anything or does it have
something to do with the MySQL database I have created? Do I need the answer
to # 1 before I do this?

The connection name can be anything you fancy. I usually name mine with "conn" as the prefix, e.g., connMonkeyButt.

4. My ISP "Go Daddy" provides the ability to create MySQL databases on line in my control panel. Is the location of those files relevant to where my database
created locally needs to go?

There are no "files" involved.  The server sorts all of that out.