macromedia.dreamweaver.appdev

Re: ASP vs PHP vs ASP.NET etc

Subject: Re: ASP vs PHP vs ASP.NET etc
From: David Powers
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 16:32:59 +0100
Newsgroups: macromedia.dreamweaver.appdev

Massimo Foti wrote:
Apart from that, there are a bunch of gotchas (like in any other software). Many can be find here:
http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html

That list refers to MySQL 4.1, which is no longer actively supported under the MySQL lifecycle policy:

http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/lifecycle/#calendar

Above anything else I still don't understand why so many people insist in using PHP/MySQL when they can pick PHP/PostgreSQL instead.

I think the answer lies in availability and level of support. MySQL has been very successful at marketing. PostgreSQL has not.

The vast majority of PHP books (mine included) teach PHP in conjunction with MySQL. Once PHP 5 becomes more widespread, it should be possible to concentrate on PHP Data Objects (PDO), which don't use software-specific commands. Sadly, shared hosting companies are very slow to move to either PHP 5 or MySQL 5, and don't seem to care about the lifecycle policy of either.

--
David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)