macromedia.dreamweaver.appdev

Re: CF8, Mysql db connection

Subject: Re: CF8, Mysql db connection
From: David Powers
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:55:23 +0100
Newsgroups: macromedia.dreamweaver.appdev

neuby79 wrote:
I started screwing around in the terminal and the root password. I'm thinking I screwed something up.

It sounds as though you have changed the root password and can no longer get it. Just reinstalling over the top of the existing version has probably retained the mysql database that contains all the privileges. I think your best solution is to uninstall MySQL. Unfortunately, that involves messing around in Terminal.

1. Open Terminal and type cd /usr/local followed by Return.

2. Type ls -l followed by Return (both lowercase "L").

3. You should see a list of files and directories, including a couple that end in something like this:

  mysql -> mysql-5.0.41-osx10.4-powerpc
  mysql-5.0.41-osx10.4-powerpc

4. Type sudo rm mysql. Press Return, and enter your Mac administrator password when prompted.

5. Next, type sudo rm -r mysql-5.0.41-osx10.4-powerpc (the actual value after "-r" should be the same as the name of the second directory listed in 3 above.

6. You should now have no trace of MySQL on your Mac. Reinstall from the package.

7. Install the MySQL.prefPane by dragging the icon onto Applications/System Preferences.

8. After it has been installed, click the MySQL icon in System Preferences.

9. When it reports that the MySQL server is running, go back to Terminal. If you created the .profile file I mentioned earlier, type the following at the Terminal prompt:

  mysql -u root

10. Press Return, and you should see a message saying "Welcome to the MySQL monitor".

11. Type the following series of commands, each followed by Return:

   use mysql;
   UPDATE user SET password = PASSWORD('mypassword') WHERE user = 'root';
   DELETE FROM user WHERE user = '';
   FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
   exit;

The third command finishes with two single quotes (no space in between) and a semicolon. Replace "mypassword" with your new root password.

12. Type mysql -u root -p followed by Return.

13. Enter your new root password when prompted.

14. You should now be back in the MySQL monitor. Type exit; and press Return.

15. Close Terminal. DON'T FORGET YOUR ROOT PASSWORD.

--
David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)