macromedia.director.lingo

Re: Film Loop Sprites going wonky...

Subject: Re: Film Loop Sprites going wonky...
From: "Darrel Hoffman"
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:09:30 -0400
Newsgroups: macromedia.director.lingo

> scale with .with and .height does that behaviour.
> move with .loc, .locH and .locV should work.
>
> try to scale and move with sprite(x).rect, it's more calculation, but
> worked
> for me in most cases.

Most of them (including the wonky ones) aren't being scaled via scripts, but
are manually scaled by dragging the rect-corners.  (Holding down CTRL to
keep the aspect ratio the same.)  There ARE film loop sprites that are being
scaled via scripts (using width and height), but these ones haven't had any
problems so far.  None of them are being moved via scripts in this case.  I
ultimately solved this problem by deleting all of the offending film loop
members and recreating them from scratch (I make a habit of keeping any
sprites involved in film loops sitting together on a frame past the end of
my used frames, in case I need to make any changes - that saved my butt this
time.)

Incidentally, does anyone know WHY scaling film loops via height/width has
this problem?  It's particularly annoying, and a bug you'd think somebody
would've noticed by now, considering the film loop feature has been in the
program since I-don't-know-what version, but at least as far back as 3.  I'd
also like it if it were possible to reverse-engineer a film-loop, converting
it back into its component sprites so you can make changes - that way I
wouldn't have to keep them around on that dead-frame at the end.  (It'd also
be nice if you could run other stuff on film loops, e.g. change their color,
ink settings, etc.  But I suppose that's a lot to ask for an old feature
that hasn't changed in at least 7 versions.)

Just out of curiosity - has any of this been changed at all in Dir11?  I'm
still on MX2004, so I don't know what-all has been improved yet.  Crossing
my fingers for a few recent annoyances like this...