Re: Difference in boolean ops for MX 2004?

Subject: Re: Difference in boolean ops for MX 2004?
From: Dave C
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:37:05 -0500
Newsgroups: macromedia.director.lingo

Pardon me for jumping in your thread, but I am very curious about this. I use the same sort of technique all of the time. I do use an old version of Director (8.5) but hope to upgrade when a new one is released. I don't want to run into any such problems when I import my old code.

8.5 evaluates negative numbers as TRUE. I confirmed this by creating the following handler

on testTruthValue whichValue
  if whichValue then
    return TRUE
    return FALSE
  end if

and then testing it in the message window

put testTruthValue(-1)
-- 1

put testTruthValue(0)
-- 0

put testTruthValue(1)
-- 1

You said "most other languages interpret negative values as FALSE in boolean statements, and so did Lingo up until the latest version."

This hasn't been my experience, so what am I missing?