macromedia.director.basics

Re: New version support Flash 9 and AS3?

Subject: Re: New version support Flash 9 and AS3?
From: "Mark A. Boyd"
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 23:39:48 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: macromedia.director.basics
"necromanthus" <[email protected]> posted in
macromedia.director.basics:

>  2) there're "official" tools (aka Xtras made by Valentin and other
>  shockwave
> "developers") designed to steal the DCR assets.
>  In these conditions do you expect new Director users?
>  I really doubt about that ...

Official? I haven't looked at Valentin's tools, but there's a chance that
they're simple Director files. They're not necessarily designed to steal, but
may be to help people recover their lost source files. And such excersizes
certainly serve to illustrate to the Director community (what MacroDobe
offers by ommission in the manual) the strengths and weaknesses of the .dcr
format.

You can use Director itself to extract assets (not code) from .dcr files. You
can even reproduce the Score from them with behaviors attached and their
getPropertyDescriptionList properties intact and exposed.

As Oliver said, there are several methods available to help make Shockwave
[i]more[/i] secure, but it takes more than simply embedding assets into a
.dcr.

I seem to recall an article or two on Director-Online, updateStage or
MediaMacros, but a Google search should come up with more.

--
Mark A. Boyd
Keep-On-Learnin' :)