macromedia.director.basics

Re: FINALLY, it's here!

Subject: Re: FINALLY, it's here!
From: "scarroll"
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 06:19:23 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: macromedia.director.basics
Agree, there are plenty of opensource, albeit low-level C++ code out there that
is both cross platform and yet render advanced shader techniques. Director
'looked' promising as one of those early adopters by having Mac support in
OpenGL and DirectX on windows. But now it looks very dated. I'm suprised that
they haven't leveraged the existing code base out there like www.ogre3d.org
which will render advanced shaders, support real shadows and is capable of
running cross platform on Mac, Linux, Windows, and in OpenGL or DirectX9.
Irrlicht3d is another lower level example (in fact there is an Xtra that brings
it Director in underdeveloped, untested, alpha-code). This technology should be
adapted to bring Director up to par. I'd expect such features in a high level
package like Director versus having to get it at a lower level for free. That
is what I would we would be paying for!