macromedia.director.basics

Quicktime crashes

Subject: Quicktime crashes
From: "Highbrow"
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 02:24:45 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: macromedia.director.basics
Hi, I dusted off my copy of MX2004 (Win XP) recently to tweak a project, and
neither the authoring environment nor the CD as mastered would work anymore,
crashing as soon as Quicktime movie was displayed. In fact, with a new project
open Director would crash just bringing up the Quicktime window. I figured
something else in my system was screwed so I bit the bullet and did a clean
install of XP, layered on the relevant mobo and video drivers, and then put the
latest Quicktime 7.41 and MX 2004, plus the authoring update back on. Still no
joy.   So I lowered the hardware acceleration settings for video, and lo and
behold, I got it running. Director won't display Quicktime video anymore unless
hardware acceleration is 2 stops short of completely disabled. No idea what has
changed to do this, as it was running fine last year, on the same hardware.
Perhaps my nVidia video drivers are to blame, but it was quite disconcerting.
Anyone else had this issue?  Anyway, just thought I'd share. I'm a fan of
Director, still, tho I code in Flash / Flex now. cheers, Hugh