macromedia.coldfusion.server_administration

Multiple Redundant Email Messages

Subject: Multiple Redundant Email Messages
From: "ArnieM69"
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:46:14 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: macromedia.coldfusion.server_administration

We have recently begun experiencing a problem sending messages via cfmail.
We're not sure
 exactly when this started occurring. Our users just brought it to our
attention, but the
 ColdFusion logs indicate this problem has been going on for a few weeks.

 We have several ColdFusion 7 applications on our intranet that, among other
things, generate notifications
 to our users via the cfmail tag. Some of our applications, all in-house
developed, have been running
 successfully for years. And all applications exhibit this aberrant behavior.

 For some as yet unexplained reason, ColdFusion has started randomly and
intermittently
 generating multiple email messages to users. Sometimes a user will correctly
receive a
 single message, sometimes multiple. Multiple, meaning 2 or 3. There is no
looping involved when creating
 the message, no attachments, and the message is always addressed to a single
recipient.

 I don't believe it to be a CF scripting problem. As I was watching what was
happening
 on the server I was capturing a copy of the mail spool file before ColdFusion
grabbed it and compared that with what was reported in the mailsent.log file.
Sure enough, sometimes a single spool file would result in
 multiple messages, and sometimes only a single message--to the exact same
person. But this doesn't
 happen to everyone.

 I don't see anything wrong with the contents of the spool file. A spool file
that generates a single
 message looks exactly the same as one that results on multiple messages--to
the same user--and it appears to happen randomly.

 I can't be the only one in the world to experience this.