macromedia.coldfusion.getting_started

Problem displaying chinese after mx8 upgrade

Subject: Problem displaying chinese after mx8 upgrade
From: "yangyi_d"
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:26:36 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: macromedia.coldfusion.getting_started

one of our clients just upgraded to mx8 and now the chinese text on their
website does not display properly. it shows something like "??P???BIG5????r>"
instead of chinese characters. the site was fine under mx7 using just meta tags
for page coding.

 we've been doing some searching and found others with similar problems, but
not exactly the same - or at least the solutions described do not work in our
case.

 the strangest thing is that all chinese data read from the client database is
displayed properly, but any chinese text within the cfm file itself is messed
up. for those who can read chinese, you can check
http://www.cross-stitch.com.tw/test.cfm for an example. the text on the top
right is not displayed properly and is from the cfm file itself. and the blocks
of properly displayed text below are read from database.

 we've tried, new tags for cfheader & cfcontent, but no luck.

 where are we going wrong?

 cheers & thanks...