macromedia.coldfusion.getting_started

Broken Unicode

Subject: Broken Unicode
From: "Zealus.com"
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:35:32 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: macromedia.coldfusion.getting_started

Never thought I would have a problem with unicode, but here it is.

 The web site I am working on is ColdFusion MX7 and mySQL 5.0.45. The data in
the DB is UTF-8 encoded, collation is set to utf8_general_ci. The output of the
data from DB is valid, all characters are displayed properly.

 Problem starts when I try to update records via site's web interface. I have
attached a piece of code as an example (the whole query is rather large) to
show that there is no charset messing in the query itself. However, whenever I
post unicode characters (the site is bilingual, English and Russian) they get
converted to something weird. For example, small Russia letters "a" converted
into number 0, "b" into number 1 and so on. So whenever I try to post something
like "???????" - I get a bunch of numbers and symbols, some of which are
invisible.
 I talked to the hosting support for 2 days already, but they still
"investigating", which sort of leads me to think they have no clue.

 <cfquery datasource="skazkaf_skazka">
   UPDATE Products SET Catalog=
   <cfif IsDefined("FORM.Catalog") AND #FORM.Catalog# NEQ "">
     '#FORM.Catalog#'
       <cfelse>
       NULL
   </cfif>
   , ProductName=
   <cfif IsDefined("FORM.ProductName") AND #FORM.ProductName# NEQ "">
     '#FORM.ProductName#'
       <cfelse>
       NULL
   </cfif>
    , ProductName_Rus=
   <cfif IsDefined("FORM.ProductName_Rus") AND #FORM.ProductName_Rus# NEQ "">
     '#FORM.ProductName_Rus#'
       <cfelse>
       NULL
   </cfif>