Re: The Problem With CF

Subject: Re: The Problem With CF
From: "DamonCooper"
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 14:38:03 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: macromedia.coldfusion.cfml_general_discussion
Check out the CFAJAXIMPORT tag.  The AJAX support in CF8 is provided ala cart,
so you can use as much or as little as you like, mix and match your favorite
frameworks, balance development speed and functionality, etc.

 1) First we have the CFAJAXPROXY and "Ajax Plumbing" -level features which
offer no UI components and simply make Ajax development easier with JavaScript
proxies for the remote methods on a server side CFC, Ajax client side
debugging, Adobe Spry, support for Spry dataset binding, JSON, data
marshalling, client side data binding, etc.

 2) Then we have the "full Monty" with the UI controls, etc, powered by the
Yahoo! UI Ajax toolkit and Jack Slocum's excellent ExtJS Yahoo UI Toolkit
add-in components, and our own Spry toolkit plumbing, etc.

 If you don't like #2 for any reason, you can always do Ajax development using
your favorite Ajax UI framework (jQuery, Dojo, etc), but still use all the
great "Ajax plumbing" productivity features we've added to make developing in
your favorite Ajax UI framework super fast and easy.  No prob.

 We knew we couldn't make everybody happy with one fixed feature set, so we
broke it down into "use what you like, leave what you don't" levels of Ajax
integration.

 Having said that, we did pay particular attention to the download sizes for
both levels of Ajax feature integration, and I think you'll find that you can
build a very svelte Ajax app (~51k total download size, including data...about
the size of a medium-weight JPEG these days) using the Ajax plumbing feature
set.

 The CFAJAXIMPORT tag can help you fine tune what you want downloaded as well.

 Hope that helps clarify what we tried to do in CF8.

 Damon