Accurate print layouts with CF

Subject: Accurate print layouts with CF
From: "AutosoftSystems"
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 02:32:34 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: macromedia.coldfusion.cfml_general_discussion
Hi there,

 I'm looking for any input on doing "accurate" printing via PDF's from CF.  By
accurate I mean I would want to position objects (text mainly, possibly lines)
on a page with relative precision. (16th of an inch?)  I'm not looking for
Pixel or Point accuracy but I would like to be able to custom design a badge,
or formatted series of items that would then print onto pre-designed and
perforated stock.

 I haven't seen much in CF's native PDF implementation that leads me to believe
this is easily done outside of using CSS and HTML however past experience with
these techniques has proven the results to be unpredictable at best across
different browsers / platforms.

 I also found iText, the Open Source Java PDF library and I know this could be
instanced from CF easily.  i just thought I would inquire if anyone else has
experience on a similar project.

 Thanks.
 Steve