cfdirectory to network locations

Subject: cfdirectory to network locations
From: "Dan Bracuk"
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:26:51 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: macromedia.coldfusion.cfml_general_discussion
The long term objective is to be able to use cffile to write text files to
various servers and I am trying to figure out the syntax with cfdirectory.
Here is the code.

 <cfset thedir = "something">
 <cfdirectory directory="#thedir#" name="x" action="list">
 <cfdump var="#x#">

 In the first set, if I set the variable to anything resembling
"drive_letter\directory\subdirectroy\etc", I see the contents of the directory.
 So far so good.

 The problem is, whenever I anything else, I get nothing.  Some of my
unsuccessful attempts include:

 http://server_name/directory/
 http://ip_address/directory/
 as above without http:
 \\server_name\directory\
 \\ip_address\directory

 Am I attempting something that is even possible?  If it's possible, is my lack
of success because of my code or because of permissions?