Re: Open Letter to Tim Buntel

Subject: Re: Open Letter to Tim Buntel
From: "Jeff_Self"
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:08:36 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: macromedia.coldfusion.cfml_general_discussion
What do you expect Adobe to do?  There are really three different directions to
go for web development.
 1. The LAMP stack.  Basically the open source route.  Apache, MySQL or
PostgreSQL, PHP, Python (Django), RoR, and Perl.  Nobody in this camp is going
to switch to ColdFusion.

 In the commercial world, there are two shops:
 2. Dot Net.  For the Microsoft shops.  Nobody here is going to switch to
ColdFusion.

 3. Java.  Even though Java is now open source, there's a lot of business
behind it.  ColdFusion lives in this world.  Unless you can convince Java shops
to switch to ColdFusion, I don't see how ColdFusion can gain market share.  I
think Adobe realizes this and I think they realize ColdFusion is now a niche
product, used primarily in government work.

 ColdFusion has only one chance to increase marketshare.  Go open source.
Adobe has no interest in this since they make money off of ColdFusion and I
don't see how it would benefit Adobe at all.  And when the day comes that
ColdFusion doesn't make them enough money to continue it, they will drop it.
Adobe cares more about Flex and it does not rely on ColdFusion.  It runs with
Java, PHP, and RoR as well as ColdFusion now.

 Enjoy it while its around but be prepared to learn something else too.