Passing variables with page redirect

Subject: Passing variables with page redirect
From: "trojnfn"
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:09:45 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: macromedia.coldfusion.cfml_general_discussion
I have a cfform. After it is filled out and submitted, the action page
generates a random reference_no and puts the data into a database. I then do a
cflocation url and pass the reference_no to another page. This page takes the
reference_no and does a cfquery again to get all the information just entered
and displays it on the form. A javascript popup/alert message then tells the
user the form was submitted with the reference_no and to print the form. I was
advised to do it this way so that the form cannot be resubmitted again.
Everything works fine the way I have it.

 Now here is what I would like to do. After the form is displayed with the
popup, I would like to pause 3-5 seconds and then redirect that page to another
page that is identical (minus the javascript popup message) with the cfdoucment
tag because I want them to print the form in pdf format. The problem I am
having is when I do another cflocation url at the end of the display page and
pass the referendce_no, to go to the pdf page, it works but it never stops at
the display page to display the javascript popup message. So I tried to use the
meta tag refresh rediredct set at 3 seconds and pass the reference_no. The
display page with the javascript message works then the page is redirected but
the reference_no is never passed and the pdf form comes up but without anything
to display. I guess you cannot pass variables in a meta tag since that is not
cf ?

 How can I go from the page with the javascript popup to the page with
cfdocuement pdf format ?

 Thanks