Re: Open Letter to Tim Buntel

Subject: Re: Open Letter to Tim Buntel
From: "Steve Sommers"
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:18:26 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: macromedia.coldfusion.cfml_general_discussion
CHEERS! I fully agree with the issues brought up here and in the referenced
blog entry.

 I'm having a harder and harder time keeping support for ColdFusion in my
company as our primary web facing environment. In my circumstance, It has
nothing to do with pricing -- my company has no issue with the $1300'ish per
copy. It has nothing to do with capability or application development time from
conception to market -- CF is the most capable web development application on
the market, bar none. The problem I am having is that we cannot find qualified
and experienced CF developers and I think this is directly related to the
issues brought up here.

 The lack of marketing, the high entry point costs, the little defense of
various CF demise comments, etc., etc., etc. all directly effect the number of
people learning CF. Apple is still around today because of all the free and
highly discounted equipment it gave to schools and universities back in the
80's. Microsoft got a kick start using some of the same techniques. Why
couldn't Allaire, Macromedia and now Adobe give it a try?

 My personal opinion is that CF is slowly dieing on the vine. It has nothing to
do with how capable the product is or how much money is thrown into the R&D
budget. It has to do with lack of marketing and market penetration. It is the
best kept secret in the industry and that's what will be on it's tombstone. I
truly hope I'm wrong.