Re: Coldfusion 8 (I want it)

Subject: Re: Coldfusion 8 I want it
From: "pcbrown"
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:11:12 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: macromedia.coldfusion.cfml_general_discussion
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]frank_tudor[/b][/b][/i]
 Adobe empowers people by making them more productive. Coldfusion empowers me
as a developer and an administrator of Coldfusion websites. I don't feel that
when I use Microsoft technology.  I mean I can't be the only one that feels
this way, right?
 [/q]

 Not at all, Frank. I use both CF and .NET (primarily C#). Each has strengths
and weaknesses. I've got a background in C++ and Java, so the C# syntax is
comfortable to me...and when I started writing CF, it's syntax certainly seemed
rather odd. But that was years ago, and at this point I'd much rather build a
web app with CF than with .NET. For anything but the most trivial project, it's
faster, in some cases considerably so.

 I work with several experienced, .NET devotees (VBers, mostly), and they
readily acknowledge the value ColdFusion brings to the company. CF8 will add
considerably to that value. A couple of years ago I used .NET2 to write an
image re-size and compression utility for our intranet. It works well, the
users love it, but if that project came up now, there's no question I'd build
it with ColdFusion. Having used the cfimage tag while evaluating the CF8 beta,
I know that I could create a much more powerful utility, with fewer lines of
code and in less time than the original took.

 The point you make about the .NET add-ons and plug-ins is also a good one. CF
addresses some of the most important business issues right out of the box (PDF
creation and manipulation, for example), but with .NET you've usually got to
look at further commercial products. That alone has been enough to endear CF to
the managers here. Charting is icing on the cake. With .NET, that's some pretty
pricey icing.

 One of the great things about using ColdFusion and .NET in the same department
is that you quickly realize that the two tools can co-exist, rather happily and
productively (even moreso with CF8, it would seem). I view it as a metaphor for
the web as a whole.