undefined variable

Subject: undefined variable
From: "phil1943"
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 09:35:48 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: macromedia.coldfusion.cfml_general_discussion
Hello, I am setting up a basic shopping cart.

 Upon (form) submission of an "add to cart" button I get an undefined variable
error.

 This is because the "add to cart" form is submitting to "thispage" i.e itself,
which contains an invoked database search function.
 That search function relies on an externally provided keyword which is passed
from another webpage upon the first load of that page.
 How can I make that externally submitted variable exist for the duration of
multiple reloads of that page ie. each time the "add to cart" buttons are
submitted ?

 thanks kindly for any help.