macromedia.authorware

Re: "Count Up" Timer (& Need to Display Different Time Denomination)

Subject: Re: "Count Up" Timer & Need to Display Different Time Denomination
From: "Amy Blankenship"
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:51:39 -0500
Newsgroups: macromedia.authorware

"alleyshea" <webforumsuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:g46ged$rli$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> This is a tough one, so any help or suggestions with just where to start
> looking would be fantastic!
>
> I am an academic researcher using authorware for my dissertation.  In my
> experiment, I need to make my participants experience a time delay.  I
> want to
> display something on the screen that shows the passage of time (i.e.,
> "counts
> up") in days, even though they are experiencing it in seconds.  For
> example,
> while the participant is experiencing the delay, I want to have the screen
> display something like, "It has been 2 days since you have contacted your
> partner".  I would like to have the "2" change to a "3" after 10 seconds,
> and
> then to a "4" after another 10 seconds, etc.  Eventually after several
> days
> have passed, they will move onto a new screen.  I have already used
> systemseconds to put a time delay into a different authorware piece (i.e.,
> so
> that participants could only access something after a certain amount of
> time),
> so I know how to do that.  However, I am not even sure where to start with
> displaying the "count up", particularly displaying it in such a way that
> it
> doesn't actually show the number of seconds that have passed, but a
> corresponding amount of time.
>
> If this doesn't make sense or needs clarification please let me know.  I
> appreciate any and all advice!!

Probably the easiest thing to do is to use an Interaction with a time limit
response on it.  Set the time limit response properties to 10
seconds/Restart for each try/Try again branching/Don't erase.  Attach a
Display icon, and type this text into it:

It has been {TimesMatched} days since you have contacted your partner.

HTH;

Amy