ma-linux@tux.org

Re: [Ma-linux] Information Week calls for Open Sourcing Windows

Subject: Re: [Ma-linux] Information Week calls for Open Sourcing Windows
From: Charles M Howe
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 23:08:19 -0500
Przemek,

A few thoughts,

I'm pretty sure that I recall reading that a project had been launched
to do an open source version of Windows. Am I correct? If so, do you
have any idea how well it is going? My thought has been that the closer
it gets to being viable the stronger the pressure on  Microsoft to
drastically reduce the cost of a license.

Isn't the GIMP Windows compatible? Where, in your opinion, or the
opinion of those readers who have tried it, does it rank in usability?
This is important to me. I am advising a tenth grader who wants to
become an architect. (See the thread "Advice for the adviser (me).) I
have gotten numerous good suggestions from this list. I asked a
question, "Would it be advisable for Brooks to be fluent in GIMP. I
think the answer came down, "Not particularly useful".

And, finally, Remember that Python is platform-neutral.

Any others?

Charlie