ma-linux@tux.org

Re: [ma-linux] tape libraries and amanda

Subject: Re: [ma-linux] tape libraries and amanda
From: Alexey Toptygin
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:23:52 +0000 UTC
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:

Unfortunately, the only drawback, last I looked, is that the filesystems
to be backed up have to be <= the capacity of a single tape, as amanda
can't handle tape spanning.

ugh. really? that definitely would create some annoying problems.

Insert shameless plug for Bacula. Works great (for me), spans tapes, supports a variety of tape autoloaders. I use it to spool DVD-sized bacups onto disk and then burn them manually - this is the only thing I could find that would let you span backup volumes _and_ hard limit the size of a single volume.
                        Alexey