m2-dev@maven.apache.org

RE: SNAPSHOT design

Subject: RE: SNAPSHOT design
From: Maczka Michal
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:19:19 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Brett Porter [mailto:brett@xxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 3:41 AM
> To: Maven 2 Developers List
> Subject: SNAPSHOT design
>

> http://docs.codehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=22585
>
> I'm now moving on to implement this.
>
> - Brett

Is the symetry between local and remote repositories no longer a desgin
goal?
Isn't it possible to find a solution, which will enable at any moment in
time to turn any local repository into a remote repository without any extra
effort?
This was ofen very useful feature for m1. If I remeber we had workable
solution for that for m2.

Why some magic strings, which are concatenating timestamp and build number
together are used?
Would not it be better to directly use a properties file with for example
the following (and possibly more) fields:

timestamp: 20040101.100011
build: 10
deployer: brett
profile: qa

Is this solution uniform with another places in maven where pointer files
are needed
(I mean e.g the strategy how the latest released plugin or another artifact
is going to be discovered)?

Michal