m2-dev@maven.apache.org

Re: SNAPSHOT design

Subject: Re: SNAPSHOT design
From: Brett Porter
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:40:34 +1100
Vincent Massol wrote:

>Cool. At first reading the systematic use of snapshot timestamp and the
>juggling of format between local and remote repos seemed too much of magic
>to me. I now understand this may be the only solution for clock issues.

This is all pretty well hidden - the user should just specify SNAPSHOT
in their dependencies and it will just work.

>I think a version.txt file may be required not only for snapshots but also
>for proper release versions so that the user can specify a dependency that
>is greater than a certain number (ex: 1.7+ or >1.7). Is it the plan to have
>another file for it? Wouldn't it be better to merge the 2 files into one?

I'd imagine that they would be treated like SNAPSHOTs if implemented as
they are also unresolved versions - but I don't want to go too far down
that track yet.

To be honest, I'm not entirely certain we should implement this in the
short term. It's dangerous when versioning is not done right. What we're
better to do is make it easier to globally change a dependency version
which is what dependencyManagement is about so you can have careful
control of the dependency version in play.

Cheers,
Brett