linux.debian.isp

Re: consumer grade circuits vs pro grade circuits

Subject: Re: consumer grade circuits vs pro grade circuits
From: Al Dykes
Date: 30 Sep 2005 09:28:27 -0400
Newsgroups: linux.debian.isp
In article <[email protected]>, Ted Cabeen  <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Dan M. MacNeil" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> The recent multi-homing discussion had a few disparaging remarks about
>> "consumer grade" circuits.
>>
>> I've heard people (particularly sales people) express the opinion that a
>> T1 was much better than DSL in terms of quality.
>>
>> However, it is difficult to pin people down on specifics and several
>> evenings of googling have not brought me clarity.
>>
>> In our case, one of our spaces is within a few hundred meters of the
>> central office. We can get very high quality 6M/785K DSL for $150/month
>>
>> Theoretically (3) fast DSL connections would give us more bandwidth and
>> redundancy than one $400 T1 (we get non profit pricing)
>
>As the prior posters have noted, the only real difference is in your
>SLA and in the telco's responsiveness in outages.  Here in Verizon
>land, we can usually get a repair commit time on a T1 or higher outage
>of 3-4 hours or less.  DSL trouble must be submitted through a web
>form (no phone calls) and they won't even talk to you about repair
>status until at least 24 hours have passed.

Residential service may very well ban the use of "servers" on your
end, typically meaning they block port 80 (web server) and port 25
(smtp). Moreover they can change their terms any time they want to.

A business grade service will allow serviers and have terms
that make it less likely that they will screw you, later.

As for the "3 DSL" connections thing, unless you are a serious hacker
getting loadsharing and failover working on the cheap is unlikely,
though I've never tried it.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.